Monday, June 16, 2014

Oliver's Long Goodbye




So he's old and deaf and now apparently almost blind.

He doesn't wag his tail much

despite trying to spoil him with snacks and lovin'

He fell down the stairwell last week but miraculously survived.

I took him to the family picnic and although seemingly befuddled,

he enjoyed the pats, the pets, the kids, wandering the yard and

enjoying the sunshine at Jon's -

and then he fell in the pool -

but he was ok.

He's been the dearest of friend since 1999, 

when he was given to me by my sister in Memphis. 

A companion for  Kenya

then Freddie 
and even tolerated the addition of crazy Larry.


and always has he been an utter joy to me. 

We celebrated his 14th birthday last July, 

still enjoying life to the fullest 

and bringing love and joy to all

but tonight I came home

and he wasn't at the door

and I was afraid to go upstairs for what I might find.

He was there and breathing and liked my pats and cuddling.

and then he slowly went down the steps,

but I was so afraid,

it might be one of the last times...

 
                                                                         
He has been such a dear sweet loving friend

 and though I thought I was ready

Once again, you never are!




No comments:

Post a Comment