Friday, March 9, 2012

Amongst the Ruins

After a routine dog hike I headed off to the Awbury Arboretum. 
 I have passed the sign for over 16 years but situated among a depressed section of
 Philadelphia I assumed it would be in poor condition. 
 But after my mother mailed me an article about
 the arboretum as a prospect for some photo/promotional work
and after a seeing a feature article on the arboretum in a local paper my curiosity was peeked. 

So down the bleak avenue of town I went
until I came to Washington Avenue and Chew
 - with signs of poverty and crime infested life strewn about.


But turn in the drive and I was transported back in time. 


The Cope Mansion - where Henry Cope first built his home in 1852 on 50 acres. 


As his family grew, so did the beautiful stone homes - each surrounded by high stone walls. 


It was an obsolute astonishment that this beautiful historical park could
 be  tucked away among the rubble of Philadelphia. 
It was like a chapter from C.S. Lewis' "Witch and the Wardrobe"

Odd trees

Even a Winnie the Pooh Tree



A magical day indeed!



No comments:

Post a Comment